Double magnets causing double perforations-a case report

Anusiri Inugala


Magnets are unusual gastrointestinal foreign bodies. Ingestion of multiple magnets may lead to serious complications including bowel perforation. Presenting the case of an 11-year-old girl who ingested 2 singing magnets. The patient presented with a history of pain abdomen and bilious vomiting and constipation of one day duration, 20 days after ingestion of the magnets. On examination there was distension of abdomen and severe tenderness all over the abdomen along with rigidity. Abdominal radiograph showed the presence of foreign bodies in the abdomen. In view of features of peritonitis, the patient was taken up for an exploratory laparotomy. Intraoperatively two perforations were found, one in the jejunum and the other in the ileum. The perforations were caused due to the pressure necrosis caused by the presence of magnets in different loops of the bowel. The perforations were closed. Post-operative period was uneventful. In conclusion, it is important to be aware of the problems that can be caused in cases of multiple magnet ingestion and to intervene at the earliest to prevent further complications.


Magnet ingestion, Bowel perforation, Peritonitis

Full Text:



Suk-Koo L, Nam-seon B, Hyun-Hahk K. Mischievous magnets: unexpected health hazard in children. J Pediatr Surg. 1996;31:1694-5.

Hachimi-Idrissi S, Corne S, Vandenplas Y. Management of ingested foreign bodies in childhood: our experience and review of the literature. Eur J Emerg Med. 1998;5:319-23.

Laurance Hill J, Voigt RW. Foreign bodies. In: Ashcraft KW, ed. Pediatric surgery, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company. 2000:146-52.

Honzumi M, Shigemori C, Ito H, Mohri Y, Urata H, Yamamoto T. An intestinal fistula in a 3-year old child caused by ingestion of magnets: report of a case. Surg Today. 1995;25:552-3.

Kim Y, Hog J, Moon S-B. Ingestion of multiple magnets: The count does matter. J Pediatric Surg Case Rep. 2014;2(3);130-2.

Lee SK, Beck N, Kim H. Mischievous magnets: unexpected health hazard in children. J Pediatr Surg. 1996;31:1694-5.

Chung JH, Kim JS, Song YT. Small bowel complication caused by magnetic foreign body ingestion of children: two case reports. J Pediatr Surg. 2003;38:1548-50.

Tay ET, Weinberg G, Levin TL. Ingested magnets: the force within. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2004;20:466-7.

Hussain SZ, Bousvaros A, Gilger M, Mamula P, Gupta S, Kramer R et al. Management of ingested magnets in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012;55:239-42.

Anselmi HE, Román GSC, Fontoba BJE, González AL, Dieguez VE, González LJ et al. Intestinal perforation caused by magnetic toys. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42(3):E13-6.