Retrospective observational study to evaluate the concept of the warm versus regular room temperature seitz bath in perineal wound healing


  • Narendra G. Naik Department of General Surgery, Rajiv Gandhi Medical College Kalwa, Thane, Maharashtra, India
  • Arun Y. Mane Department of General Surgery, Rajiv Gandhi Medical College Kalwa, Thane, Maharashtra, India
  • Nupur Gupte Department of General Surgery, Rajiv Gandhi Medical College Kalwa, Thane, Maharashtra, India



Seitz bath, Perineal wound healing, Duration of recovery, Hygiene


Background: Seitz bath in post-perineal surgery minimizes pain by reducing anal sphincter tone and also maintains hygiene. The aim and objective of this retrospective study is to compare the effect of warm versus regular room temperature seitz bath. The article clears the concept of seitz bath. The seitz bath gives psychological satisfaction of dressing to patient and helps in boosting the concept of hygiene in their mind.

Method: Study design for this study was comparative study of warm and room temperature seitz bath on 60 patients by convenience sampling operated for perineal diseases from 01 November 2019 to 30 March 2020 with written informed consent of patient and fulfilling ethical requirements at Rajiv Gandhi Medical College, Thane, Mumbai. Patients with immunocompromised status and comorbidities like diabetes, tuberculosis, HIV were excluded from study this was the criteria for the study.

Results: Out of 60 postoperative cases having perineal wounds, 35 (58.33%) patients opted for warm water seitz bath, while the rest 25 (41.66%) preferred regular room temperature seitz bath. In spite of a greater number of patients opting for warm seitz bath, wound recovery in terms of healing and wound discharge was almost similar in both the study groups. All the patients involved in the study were comfortable to resume their daily activities with significant reduction in pain by the end of first week irrespective of the choice of seitz bath they opted for.

Conclusion: The study concludes that symptomatic relief and wound recovery in the operated cases of perineal surgeries completely independent of the choice of seitz bath practiced.


Tejirian T, Abbas MA. Sitz bath: where is the evidence? Scientific basis of a common practice. Dis Colon Rectum. 2005:48(12):2336-40.

Lang DSP, Tho PC, Ang EN, Effectiveness of the Sitz bath in managing adult patients with anorectal disorders. Jpn J Nurs Sci. 2011;8(2):115-28.

An J, Lee I, Yi Y. The Thermal Effects of Water Immersion on Health Outcomes: An Integrative Review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(7):1680.

Machado AF, Ferreira PH, Micheletti JK, de Almeida AC, Lemes ÍR, Vanderlei FM et al. Can water temperature and immersion time influence the effect of cold-water immersion on Muscle Soreness? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Sports Med. 2016;46(4):503-14.

Earp JE, Hatfield DL, Sherman A, Lee EC, Kraemer WJ. Cold-water immersion blunts and delays increases in circulating testosterone and cytokines post-resistance exercise, Eur J Appl Physiol. 2019;119(8):1901-7.

Saghebjoo M, Einaloo A, Mogharnasi M, Ahmadabadi F,The response of meteorin-like hormone and interleukin-4 in overweight women during exercise in temperate, warm and cold water, Horm Mol Biol Clin Investig. 2018;36(3).

Griffiths RD, Fernandez RS, Ussia CA. Is tap water a safe alternative to normal saline for wound irrigation in the community setting? J Wound Care. 2001;10(10):407-11.

Fernandez R, Griffiths R. Water for wound cleansing. Cochrane database Syst Rev. 2008;23:(1):CD003861.

Cox SC, Hocking C, Payne D. Showers: from a violent treatment to an agent of cleansing. Hist Psychiatry. 2019;30(1):58-76.






Original Research Articles