Clinical profile of patients with varicose vein: a cross sectional study from Vilasrao Deshmukh Government Institute of Medical Sciences, Latur, Maharashtra


  • Deepak S. Samane Department of General Surgery, Vilasrao Deshmukh Government Institute of Medical Sciences, Latur, Maharashtra, India
  • Ganesh Swami Department of General Surgery, Vilasrao Deshmukh Government Institute of Medical Sciences, Latur, Maharashtra, India
  • Halnikar Chandrashekhar S. Department of General Surgery, Vilasrao Deshmukh Government Institute of Medical Sciences, Latur, Maharashtra, India
  • Anant A. Takalkar Department of Community Medicine, MIMSR Medical College and YCRH, Latur, Maharashtra, India



Varicose veins, Clinical features, Risk factors


Background: Although there is considerable evidence to suggest that varicose veins are less common in developing countries like ours, the absence of adequate epidemiological data leaves the question open. The objective of the study was to assess the risk factors and clinical features of patients with varicose veins in urban patients visiting surgical OPD.

Methods: The present cross-sectional observational study was carried out in 60 patients having varicose veins. Clinical features and diagnosis were assessed and analysed using SPSS software.

Results: Maximum number of patients 29 (48%) presented in the 31-50 years age group. 88.3% were males and 11.7% were females. 68.3% of patient’s belong to the group whose occupation involved prolonged standing. In 18.3% of patients, both legs were involved. Involvement of great saphenous vein was seen in 51 cases i.e. 85% and in remaining 9 cases (15%), small saphenous vein was involved. In majority of our patients, Doppler study revealed incompetency of perforators i.e. 26 (43.3%) followed by sapheno-femoral as well as sapheno-femoral with popliteal in 16 each i.e. 26.7%.

Conclusions: The varicose veins occur in third and fifth decades of life. The occupations involving prolonged standing and violent muscular efforts are more prone for developing varicose veins. Presence of prominent swellings in lower limb and pain were the commonest presenting symptoms. Colour doppler ultrasonography is the investigation of choice in the management of varicose veins. Combined valvular incompetence is more common.


Burkitt DP. Varicose veins, deep vein thrombosis, and haemorrhoids: Epidemiology and suggested aetiology. Br Med J. 1972;2:556-61.

Shenoy KR. Varicose veins and deep vein thrombosis, Manipal manual of surgery, Millenium edition, 2009: 87-89.

Murad MH, Coto-Yglesias F, Zumaeta-Garcia M, Elamin MB, Duggirala MK. A systematic review and metaanalysis of the treatments of varicose veins. J Vasc Surg. 2011;53:49S-65S.

Russell RCG, Williams NS, Bulstrode CJK. “Venous disorders” in Bailey and Love’s Short practice of surgery, Ch.24; 24th Edn; Arnold Publications; 2004: 954-973.

Callum MJ. Epidemiology of varicose veins. Br J Surg. 1994;81:167-73.

Wayne flye M. “Venous disorders”, Sabiston textbook of surgery, the biological basis of modern surgical practise, 15th edition, W.B. Saunder’s company; 1997: 1581-1593.

Sood S. Clinical examination of varicose veins. Available at: 2013/10/24/examination-of-varicose-veins/. Accessed on 08 April 2020.

Campbell J. The hero's journey: Joseph Campbell on his life and work. New World Library; 2003.

Mulla SA, Pai S. Varicose veins: a clinical study. Int Surg J. 2017;4(2):529-33.

Khan B, Khan S., Greaney G, Blairs D. Prospective randomized trial comparing sequential avulsion with stripping of the long sapherrous vein. Br J Surg. 1996;83:1559-62.

Singh S, Lees TA, Donlon M, Harris N, Beard JD. Improving the preoperative assessment of varicose veins. British J Surg. 1997;84(6):801-2.

Mirji P, Emmi S, Joshi C. Clinical Features and Management of Varicose Veins of Lower Limb. J Clin Diagnostic Res. 2011;5(7):1416-20.

Ratkal C. Thesis on clinical Pathological study of varicose veins of the lower limb. University of Mysore, 1980.

Lateef MA. Clinical pathological study of the primary varicose veins in the lower limb. Br J Surg. 1995;82:855-6.

Das K, Ahmed S, Abro S, Arain MS. Varicose Veins. The Professional Med J. 20140;21(03):509-13.

Pavan Prasad BK, Prem Kumar A. Clinical Study of varicose veins and their management. Int J Biomed Advance Res. 2015;6(08):564-8.

Al-Mulhim AS, El-Hoseiny H, Al-Mulhim FM, Bayameen O, Sami MM, Abdulaziz K. Surgical correction of main stem reflux in the superficial venous system: does it improve the blood flow of incompetent perforating veins. World J Surg. 2003;27(7):793-6.






Original Research Articles