DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2349-2902.isj20202433

Accidental multiple magnet ingestion by an adult: a case report

Suraj Gopal, Dubey Indu Bhushan, Junaid Ahmad Sofi

Abstract


Accidental multiple magnetic foreign body ingestion although common in children is rare in adults. Multiple magnetic foreign body ingestion possess a definitive risk of causing intestinal perforation, volvulus or fistulas and requires early surgical intervention even in apparently asymptomatic individuals to prevent catastrophic complications. We report a case of an 18 year old male with a history of accidental simultaneous ingestion of two semi-circular shaped magnets along with a nail. The peculiarity of the case being that despite the magnets being simultaneously ingested, one was in the stomach and the other in the jejunum adhered to each other through the transverse colon mesentery causing pressure necrosis of the adjoining wall with the patient being asymptomatic.


Keywords


Multiple magnets, Adult, Ingestion

Full Text:

PDF

References


Lee SK, Beck NS, Kim HH. Mischievous magnets: Unexpected health hazard in children. J Pediatr Surg. 1996;31:1694-5.

Oestreich AE. Worldwide survey of damage from swallowing multiple magnets. Pediatr Radiol. 2009;39:142-7.

Hussain SZ, Bousvaros A, Gilger M. Management of ingested magnets in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012;55:239-42.

Oestreich AE. Danger of multiple magnets beyond the stomach in children. J Natl Med Assoc. 2006;98:277-9.

Tay ET, Weinberg G, Levin TL. Ingested magnets: the force within. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2004;20(13):466-7.

Hernandez AE, Gutierrez SRC, Barrios JE. Intestinal perforation caused by magnetic toys. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:13-6.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Gastrointestinal injuries from magnet ingestion in children - United States, 2003-2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55:1296-300.