A survey availability of kerosene is the leading cause of suicidal burns-death of females in Salem district, Tamil Nadu, India


  • M. K. Rajendran Department of Plastic Surgery, Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College Hospital, Salem, Tamil Nadu, India




Availability of kerosene, Prevent suicidal burns, Psychological problems, Reduce morbidity


Background: Kerosene is the main culprit for the Burns, occupy 90% remaining 10% burns from other cause that to availability of kerosene at home /working place is the leading provocating cause for suicidal burns, For the past 7 years, we have followed 2645 burns admission (total) that too female burns, almost 98% of them are due to kerosene. In most of the case, suicide is due to some family problem. The remaining 10% burns are accidental burns to assess the burns due to kerosene usage and to analysis the mortality and morbidity among patients.

Methods: This survey was conducted from 2010 to 2017. The number of burns patient admitted at our hospital is 2645/ female burns. cause of suicide attempting by self-immolation during 7 years 2010-2017 analyzed. A record sheet designed to extract data such as age, education, occupation, gender, residence, marital status, drug abuse, and extent of the burn injuries as a percent of burned total body surface area (TBSA).

Results: A detailed survey conducted for the past 7 years female Burns are almost 90%. Due to suicide remaining 10% accidental. Accidental burns are minor/ moderate. We are able to save the life and reduce the mortality. But suicidal burns almost extensive/ major burns. We are not able to save the life with modern availability of treatment.

Conclusions: Finding of the current study manifested a high rate of suicide by self-immolation among young, married, and low educated women in south India. It implies a social problem, and need to an arrangement of a cultural program aimed at improving health, psychological habits, and educational level.


Bhattacharjee J, Bora D, Sharma RS, Varghese T. Unnatural deaths in Delhi during 1991. J Med Sci Law. 1996;36(3):194-8.

Bhullar DS, Oberoi SS, Agrawal OP, Tuli H. Profile of unnatural female deaths (between 18-30 years of age) in Government Medical College / Rajendra Hospital, Patiala. J Forensic Med Toxicol. 1996;8(3):5-8.

Geeta S, Sachidananda M, Sekhar TC, Manju P. Victimiologic Study of Female Suicide, Medico-Legal Update - An Int J. 2008;8:1.

Kailash UZ, Mugadlimath A, Gange SJ, Kalokhe VS, Bhusale RG. Study of some socio-etiological aspects of unnatural female deaths at Government Medical College, Aurangabad. J Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2009;31(3):210-7.

Kulshrestha P, Sharma RK, Dogra TD. The Study of Sociological and Demographical Variables of Unnatural Deaths among Young Women in South Delhi within Seven Years of Marriage. J Punjab Acad Forensic Med Toxicol. 2002 and Medico-Legal Update. 2004;4(1):5-14.

Mohan KT, Kanchan T, Yoganarasimha K, Pradeep KG. Profile of unnatural deaths in Manipal, Southern India 1994-2004. J Clin Forensic Med. 2006;13(3):117-20.

Mohanty MK, Panigrahi MK, Mohanty S, Das SK. Victimology study of female homicide. J Legal Med. 2004;6(3):151-6.

Pillay VV. Textbook of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, 15th edition, 2010, Paras Medical Publishers, Medico-legal aspects of injuries and death. 2010:263-264.

Rahim M, Das TC. Mortuary profile for unnatural deaths at Forensic Medicine department of Dhaka Medical College. Bangladesh Med J. 2009 Jul;38(2):44-7.

Sharma BR, Harish D, Sharma A, Sharma S, Accidental burns in Indian kitchens: Are they really accidental? J Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2007;29(1).

Sharma BR, Singh VP, Sharma R, Sumedha. Unnatural Deaths in Northern India - A Profile. J Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2004;26(4):140-6.

Singh AK, Verma AK, Singh K, Singh M, Kumar S. Pattern of Un-natural Deaths in Lucknow, Capital of Uttar Pradesh. Paper presented in Scientific Session of Forensic Medicon 2010, XXX Annual conference of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine (IAFM) on January 2010 at Nagpur. 2010.

Singh D, Dewan I, Pandey AN, Tyagi S. Spectrum of unnatural fatalities in the Chandigarh zone of north-west India - a 25-year autopsy study from a tertiary care hospital. J Clin Forensic Med. 2003;10(3):145–52.

Srivastava AK, Arora P. Suspicious deaths in newly married females–A medicolegal analysis. Journal of Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2007 Oct;29(4):63-7.






Original Research Articles