Clinical study and outcome of alcoholic and nonalcoholic acute pancreatitis presenting to a tertiary care center


  • Kemparaj T. Department of General Surgery, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Karnataka, India
  • Mridul G. S. Department of General Surgery, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Karnataka, India



Alcoholic pancreatitis, Nonalcoholic pancreatitis


Background: Acute pancreatitis is a common condition involving the pancreas. The estimated incidence is about 3% of cases presenting with pain abdomen. The study is undertaken to study the various etiological factors and clinical factors of alcoholic and nonalcoholic acute pancreatitis and to assess the prognosis, outcome, management of an alcoholic and nonalcoholic acute pancreatitis.

Methods: A total of 60 cases from BMCRI hospital attached selected during the study period from November 2015 to June 2017.

Results: In the present study total 60 patients with acute pancreatitis were enrolled, 55% were alcoholic and remaining 45% were nonalcoholic. The mean age of presentation in our study was 39.2 years and in alcoholic it was 39.42 years, and nonalcoholic it was 39.07 years. There was a male predominance with males accounting for 90 percent in which 61.1% are alcoholic and 38.9 percent are nonalcoholic with 9:1 male to female ratio. In our study 100 % of patients had tenderness, 3% of alcoholic and 7.4 % of nonalcoholic presented as mass abdomen, and 21.2% alcoholic and 7.4% of nonalcoholic presented as ascites. USG abdomen was diagnostic in 93.3 % of the patients in our study. All of them managed conservatively, of the 8 patients of biliary pancreatitis 7 underwent interval cholecystectomy, and 1 underwent ERCP + ES.

Conclusions: Acute pancreatitis is a common cause of acute abdomen. Alcohol being the most common cause of acute pancreatitis in the present study. Nonalcoholic pancreatitis contribute to a significant proportion of etiology of pancreatitis. Prompt identification and diagnostic work up to identify the etiology of pancreatitis followed by appropriate treatment results in cure and prevention of untoward complications.


Russell RCG. The Pancreas. In: Bailey and Loves' Short Practice of Surgery. Russell RCG, Williams NS, Bulstrode CJK, editor. 24th ed. London: Hodder Arnold; 2004:1115-32.

Clancy TE, Ashley SE. Management of acute pancreatitis. In: Maingot’s abdominal operations. Zinner MJ, Ashley SW, editor. 12th ed. Massachusetts: McGraw Hill; 2013:1097-8.

Werner J, Feuerbach S, Uhl W, Buchler MW. Management of acute pancreatitis: from surgery to interventional intensive care. Gut. 2005;54(3):426-36

Working Group IAP/APA. Acute Pancreatitis Guidelines, IAP/APA evidence-based guidelines for the management of acute pancreatitis. Pancreatol. 2013;13(4)(2);e1-15.

Büchler MW, Gloor B, Müller CA, Friess H, Seiler ChA, Uhl W. Acute necrotizing pancreatitis (treatment strategy according to the status of infection). Ann Surg. 2000;232:619-26.

Kashid A. Acute Pancreatitis Experience at Manipal Hospital, Bangalore. Appendix 1-A. Management of acute pancreatitis, by Bhansali SK and Shah SC, Jaslok Hospital. 2006:173-5.

Whitcomb DC, Gorry MC, Preston RA, Furey W, Sossenheimer MJ, Ulrich CD, et al. Hereditary pancreatitis is caused by a mutation in the cationic trypsinogen gene. Nature Genetics. 1996;14(2):141-5.

Lonovics J, Guzman S, Devitt PG, Hejtmancik KE, Suddith RL, Rayford PL, et al. Action of pancreatic polypeptide on exocrine pancreas and on release of cholecystokinin and secretin. Endocrinol. 1981;108(5):1925-30.

Amori RE, Lau J, Pittas AG. Efficacy and safety of incretin therapy in type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2007;298(2):194-206.






Original Research Articles